Having recently upgraded a Magento installation from 18.104.22.168 to 22.214.171.124, I know how drastically things can go wrong. I have now completed a new upgrade and here is how to successfully upgrade Magento from version 126.96.36.199 to 188.8.131.52:
- Back up your 184.108.40.206 database
- Create a new empty database for 220.127.116.11
- Upload the 18.104.22.168 database to the new 22.214.171.124 database
- Download, unzip and upload Magento 126.96.36.199 to a new folder on your server
- Visit the folder using your browser and install Magento using the new database which contains the old 188.8.131.52 data. This process will take a long time to go make a coffee.
- Enter your login credentials and transaction key (the same as the old 184.108.40.206 install) and finish the new installation.
- Test everything works as expected in the new 220.127.116.11 install.
- You are now ready to go live with the new install so just change folder names, etc to use the new folder containing the new Magento install.
- Drink the coffee because it's now getting cold.